Sunday 28 March 2010

Free Poker Tournament Guide a Hand by Hand

I'm going to talk you through a step by step account of a recent free poker tournament I played in. My intention is making you think and question future plays of certain scenarios.

The game was ten of thirty one paid- decent odds of three to one so my decision is to play smooth and take a back seat as the games commences. A few of the cards I used at the start were fifty two suited in the small blind & K9 off with six to one pot odds. AJ off I fall pitiless- the odds are purely the difference between the cost to call to the size of the pot e.g. one hundred dollars to see six hundred dollars would be six to one.

I have built up around a grand playing the K9 forcefully with Q9Q flop and hitting a free ace on the river with an ace / jack. I find myself saying the same old thing time and time again: you have to gamble in the uncertain plays if no one else has or you will end up with nothing else to go on.

I gamble with three times my bet with a King / King and have one caller- the flop happens at five, eight, ten, and he bets so I blag his J10 for another grand. The generalisation of slow play is when you're holding unstoppable cards; however the game here is far too tight.

An example of cards I have had to limp off with are: A2, A3 suited, and 88 due to the poor odds. By poor odds I mean to work out how much cash your opponents are holding and to know if it's possible to bankrupt someone with good cards calling five dollars with junk may not seem as bad if you can take their fifty dollars in doing so.

Some hands that I have passed on now that the blinds are higher and pot odds are getting slimmer are K10 suited, J10 suited and Q8 suited and the Q8 turned out to be a bad fold. About 1 hour 30 minutes in and I still have the 2k I made early plus another $560 with random small pots.

I am folding AQ off suit here because we are two away from payout and it looks like smooth sailing to the final table. Folding these higher hands takes a lot of discipline but becomes easier with each bubble you get. The bubble refers to the last person to go out before the pay. I end the match in 6th place which I'm very happy with...you can make living from places like that if you're consistent. So start small, play on free poker tournament sites and work your way up in line with your growing confidence and bankroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment