Monday 22 March 2010

Free Poker Tournament Position Play Tactics

Your position in a free poker tournament or Sit 'n Go is very important. Depending on where you are, there are certain ways to play and optimise your chances.

Imagine one of your opponents opens, the following 2 call, and the next opponent raises it, than it's impossible for me to come in on a str8. For instance say I call the raise the other opponents following me and could have limped their decent cards. So if I put my checks in to draw at the str8- the following opponent calls and the next moves in and raises the raiser- my str8 would become very doubtful. Remember putting checks into the pot means you have to believe you can go with your cards.

Additionally I'm not in place- and it comes down to being in a bad position as under the gun- 1st to tattletale your hand. The original raiser could go again with a common amount- I could call them- as at this time I don't believe my str8 has the potential to win. I will also get some action from 4 other opponents. When this occurs it will leave the pot at five to one I cant make my str8 although the card draw chances are not five to one that I wont. So in this play I could gamble all my checks and this is where the concealed percentages appear. I know that my str8 will take an opponent down.

Regardless as I'm not able to be open- I don't have a 1/4 in the pot at this stage and therefore I don't see the point risking my check to come in and draw at this probable. I could go in and make it, I may still go bankrupt. In stead of playing all of this speculation- I could just wait a minute and play with a new hand.

However, I would play this hand altogether differently in a limit game. I'd go ahead and call this raise and re-raise, knowing there is a limit on what I could lose. And if I did make it, I'd sure as hell bet that I could, because I don't draw to any hand that I won't bet. If you draw at something, make it, and check it, then you're defeating yourself.

There are general strategies you can use for Hold'em competitions & sit & go tables. Practice makes perfect and the more you practice your style and advance the better you will become. You don't want to learn this trade by parting and potentially loosing your hard earned cash so what better place to learn your trade than playing a free poker tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment